RE: Command Line RPC vulnerability scanner?

From: De Doncker, Steve (steveat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 16:45:25 PDT

    Russell Fulton <mailto:r.fultonat_private> scribbled on Thursday, July
    31, 2003 22:26 PM:

    > We have found some systems that are proving very difficult to patch -
    > we can't get them to the requisite SP levels because of lack of disk
    > space or other issues.  Does anyone know of safe workarounds for such
    > systems?

    What I've done is disabled DCOM on a testing machine, I'm still figuring out
    if it breaks anything.

    You can disable DCOM (not let it listen on port 135) by running dcomcnfg and
    unchecking the enable DCOM box on the default properties tab [1].

    Again, I've got no idea what the repercussions of disabling DCOM are.

    [1]
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/datacenter/help/default.asp?url=/win
    dows2000/en/datacenter/help/dcomcfg_dcom_disable_dcom.htm

    Regards,

    --
    Steve De Doncker
    echo steve.incunabula@be | tr @. .@