RE: Command Line RPC vulnerability scanner?

From: Bojan Zdrnja (Bojan.Zdrnjaat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 17:30:01 PDT

    for
    > the systems that can't be patched is to simply block port 135 into your
    > network.  If you need port 135 to be accessible from certain remote sites
    > then allow those specific source/destination address and port pairs
    through
    > your router or firewall.

    This will work well to stop attacks originating from the Internet, but as it
    was discussed on another mailing list (Full-disclosure), this is definetly
    not sufficient.

    I'd like to warn people that port blocking on their perimeter firewalls is
    *not* enough (and only a small number of companies can afford *good&
    firewalling in internal networks). It is probably just a question of time
    when one of the following two will happen:

    1) An employee inside your network or with VPN access runs exploit on your
    internal network.
    2) Worm is written which exploits this vulnerability and enters your network
    via employees computer and VPN.
    3) Same worm spreads with mass e-mail.

    Therefore, I'd consider patching as the only solution against this (nasty)
    vulnerability.