RE: Secure.dcom.exe

From: De Doncker, Steve (steveat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 16:40:16 PDT

    Lee Evans <mailto:leeat_private> scribbled on Wednesday, August 06, 2003
    12:50 PM:

    > I have found an executable called secure.dcom.exe when looking around
    > a customers server. They hadnt patched the server above SP4 and I
    > assume it has been exploited using the RPC DCOM vulnerability. A
    > serv-u ftp server has been installed, but im still looking into it to
    > see if I can spot anything else. Netstat shows a bunch of outgoing
    > connections to 6667 - irc.homelien.no. Unfortunately there are no IDS
    > or other systems on this network segment I can use, so im looking for
    > someway to capture this traffic and hopefully track down some more
    > details on the irc traffic - if anyone can recommend a good
    > (preferably free) traffic sniffer I can quickly install on the host
    > locally (win2k sp4) to decode the IRC traffic I would be grateful.

    TCPDump is the "de facto" pakket analyser/capture tool, there's a windows
    port available [1].
    If you feel more comfortable using a GUI, you can grab Ethereal [2].
    Heck, there's even a Win32 port of dsniff available [3].

    All these tools are, as far as I know, freely available.

    [1] http://windump.polito.it/
    [2] http://www.ethereal.com/
    [3] http://www.datanerds.net/~mike/dsniff.html

    Cheers,