Re: [Full-Disclosure] RPC DCOM footprints - Symantec sucks?

From: morning_wood (se_cur_ityat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 00:01:54 PDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "opticfiber" <opticfiberat_private>
    To: <incidentsat_private>; <full-disclosureat_private>
    Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 12:15 PM
    Subject: [Full-Disclosure] Re: Secure.dcom.exe
    >I finally got a reply back from symantec regarding the file you posted to
    the list,
    >see below. Not the only change I made to the file was the extension from
    EXE to TXT
    > as to prevent accidental execution.

    as a response to..

    > I did a search for Optix Pro and turned out a site that develops the
    > software. From what I can tell it's very similar to software based
    > trojans like bo2k, netbus ect...A detailed explanation of the trojan can
    > be found at this url
    > http://www.esecurityplanet.com/alerts/article.php/2197521

    this is not "detailed" ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    rather a joke, are there any real forensics people employed by any AV
    vendors?
    lol, looks like pada works REAL hard to by looking at
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/virus_info/encyclopedia/extended.aspx?idvirus=39542&sel=EXTRA
    ( theres a file with optix package called "FirewallsAVS.txt" )

    a brief review will show:

    optix pro server is generaly 896k - ( 383k packed )

    upx is the prefered method of packing and running
    "upx -d suspectfile.exe" should unpack a server for
    string analysis ( bintext by http://www.foundstone.com/ works great for
    this )

    some unpacked strings:

    EES_Encrypt
    ( a "krew" packer )
    CD tray is open!
    Blue Screen Complete!
    ( funny, commands embeded to do this are.. "aux\aux\d.t" and
    "con\con\d.t" )
    Removing Enhanced Technology...Pls Wait...
    s7 special
    ( start method )

    as well as full FTP commands

    Simply downloading the R.A.T and viewing the binaries, you should be able
    to compare
    the strings.

      As a further note on "worms" and the RPC-DCOM threat:
    utilising a program such as the type from the KaHT webdav auto-exploiter
    would automate this,
    looks like they already did it :
    http://www.terra.es/personal7/atar2000/kaht2.txt

    IMHO a worm is not needed by this exploit as its easy to scan,
    hack ( dcom.exe ),
    drop ( a real worm (  sdbot ring a bell? ))
    when using a autohacker that could easily be set up on zombied (
    compromized ) systems to
    compromize, hack, drop with imunity.

    usefull info:
    http://www.giac.org/practical/GCIH/Paul_Mudgett_GCIH.pdf

    hope this helps,

    Donnie Werner
    http://e2-labs.com
    http://exploitlabs.com

    this could have been more detailed but im too busy doing XSS  ( *wink* )

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html