Re: Secure.dcom.exe

From: Harlan Carvey (keydet89at_private)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 04:09:41 PDT

    I wanted to move away from the topic of the sniffer,
    as it seems to be overdone...

    I took a look at the executeable.  It doesn't seem to
    have any identifying information compiled into it, and
    'strings' doesn't reveal anything of interest.  The
    exe only depends on two DLLs, and calls only a total
    of 4 functions...none of which have to do with
    networking.

    Regarding what you're doing to find this malware...the
    ftp server and the IRC bot...what tools are you using?
     You mentioned netstat, but are you using any tools to
    list processes, map processes to open ports, etc?  If
    you use those tools that I've listed before, you'll
    most of what you're looking for.

    Harlan