RE: MSBLASTER Infecting despite 03-026 patch?

From: enigmatechat_private
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 22:47:21 PDT

    I can confirm this. I discovered the worm when it attempted (and failed)
    to infect my machine (Win XP pro) this afternoon. Immediately after
    securing the firewall setting that left me vulnerable to the port 135
    attack I checked windowsupdate.microsoft.com and confirmed that I had in
    fact installed the patch a few weeks earlier. While security software on
    my system prevented the overflow payload from using tftp the payload
    managed to terminate the RPC svchost process twice forcing a system
    halt. This is similar to the effects of the WinNuke exploitation of a
    similar overflow bug in RPC earlier in the year.

    -R Rahmani