Re: MSBLASTER Infecting despite 03-026 patch?

From: sean.richmondat_private
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 23:37:23 PDT

    On 12/08/2003 03:12:53 PM Charles Hamby wrote:

    >Has anyone else been seeing this phenomenon or do they have any idea why
    >this might have or might be happening? I know for a fact the patch that
    was
    >used came straight from Microsoft so I don't suspect a faulty patch.

    We have not heard of a patched system being compromised yet.
    Of course the MS03-026 KB patch won't stop the worm's mblast.exe file being
    executed on a system. If a machine is patched after it has been infected
    the file can still be executed from the
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run key that is created and
    will continue to attack other machines.

    Sean Richmond

    --
    Sean Richmond, Technical Support Manager             Sophos Anti-Virus
    email: seanat_private                    http://www.sophos.com.au/