RE: MSBLASTER Infecting despite 03-026 patch?

From: Christopher Lyon (cslyonat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 01:10:43 PDT

    The updates, if run from Windows update, don't seem to be working all
    that well. That is at least my observation. The link that Dan gave is
    right on for figuring out if it is installed correctly and what I found
    was that eEyes Retina checked for the RPC service and to see if the
    service was vulnerable. GFI and I believe MBSA just check to see if the
    patch is applied but doesn't check to see if the vulnerability still
    exists. The only way to do that is to bind and test away.

    Good luck,
    Christopher Lyon
    Sr. Security Development Engineer
    Affant Communication (formerly DNS Network Services)
    v: 714-338-7106
    f: 714-338-7101
    cslyonat_private

    there
    > were some reports (on NTBugtraq I believe) where applciation of the
    > MS03-026 patch simultaneous with other things overwrote teh patched
    > files...
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823980
    >

    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Carter, Mike wrote:
    >
    > > This is something that really worries me, I've heard it to.
    > > Also I am getting conflicting results when scanning for the patch
    > > installation. I've been using MBSA, GFI LANguard and Retina which
    all
    > > tell me something different.
    > > Which one should I trust??
    > > Or is there something else I should be using?
    >
    > -snip-
    > - a different included message -
    > >

    > > I have seen, and have heard other reports of, msblaster.exe worm
    > > infecting a Windows computer that had the proper KB patch specified
    by
    > > the 03-026 advisory.  In the instance I personally saw it was a
    Windows