Re: Blasting Blaster.Worm (aka LovSan Virus)

From: Lloyd Taylor (ltaylorat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 20:51:36 PDT

    Check the clock on the affected user's computer.  If it's set in the future,
    the worm may well have triggered, thinking that August 16th was already
    here.

    Also check for other malware.  Since 135 was open, it's quite likely that
    the computer is vulnerable to other sploits.

    As previously suggested in this forum, please read the Symantec
    analysis at https://tms.symantec.com/members/AnalystReports/030811-Alert-DCOMworm.pdf.

    To inhibit propagation of the worm to/from your network, block the
    following ports at (at least) all of your border routers (in/out),
    and preferrably (to inhibit infection within your netowkr) on your
    interior routers as well:

     * Close port 135/tcp (and if possible 135-139, 445 and 593)
     * Monitor TCP Port 4444 and UDP Port 69 (tftp) which are used by the worm
       for activity related to this worm.

    More details are available from the CERT advisory at:

    --Lloyd Taylor
      VP Technology & Operations
      Keynote Systems