Re: DCOM worm analysis report: W32.Blaster.Worm

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 21:07:03 PDT

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:11:03 +0200, Andrew Thomas <andrewat_private>  said:

    > If the information contained herein is still correct, then it would appear that
    > the algorithm used for target IP selection is far from optimal, and
    > would result in large concentration of traffic around the IP address ranges
    > of the initial infections.

    That may have been true in the first half hour or so.  Just remember that the
    *first* time the worm hops to another /8, it will start creating another large
    concentration around THAT address range... and inside 30 minutes there's too
    many pools to count.

    Another way to look at it - by the time you started seeing "me too" postings
    that *something* was up, it had gotten out of the original ranges (remember
    that the "me toos" are in general evidence that it's left the original range)