Re: Blasting Blaster.Worm (aka LovSan Virus)

From: Alan B. Clegg (abcat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 04:25:55 PDT

    Out of the ether, iDaemon Security spewed forth the following bitstream:

    > 1. worm finds host vulnerable to DCOM RPC exploit, attacks on 135/TCP
    > (and UDP... it is safe to assume that traffic will use TCP and/or UDP,
    > so please assume UDP is implied for the rest of my comments)

    No, it is not safe to assume that traffic will use TCP and/or UDP.  It is
    up to the examiner of the incident to determine which protocol is being
    used.

    The infection is via TCP/135, the shell is on TCP/4444 and the tftp is on
    UDP/69.

    Broad generalizations like that above cause blocking that is not necessary.

    AlanC
    --
    I must study politics and war that my sons     |
    may have liberty to study mathematics and      |        alanat_private