Re: [Full-Disclosure] Re: [Dshield] new msblaster on the loose?

From: Jeremiah Cornelius (jeremiahat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 16:46:52 PDT

    Interesting phenomenon emerging:

    We have noticed in our log aggregators that some of the same hosts yesterday
    that were doing port 135 scans... today seem to be doing some port 1026
    scans.  This is a listener port for MS Messenger.  List follwers will
    remember that this has been used as an avenue for spammers to send "pop-up"
    alerts on users desktops.

    farm9 (the InfoSec group I work for) is keeping an eye on this - we
    correlate syslog, winlog, IDS and firewall data from a dozen or so
    enterprises.

    Has anybody spotted similar activity?  It would be interesting to see if
    this is a new worm iteration.  Maybe sombody clever has figured they can
    deliver MSSBlast.exe or phallus32.exe via Messenger.

    I have already noticed curious folks that find that they can bind to a shell
    on 4444, and are now fiddling around here - for a minute or so... ;-)

    --
    Jeremiah Cornelius, CISSP, CCNA, MCSE, Debianaut
    farm9 Security

    "What would be the use of immortality to a person who cannot use well a half
    hour?"
    --Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html