Re: MSBlast and other known exploits..

From: John Ives (jivesat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 08:27:37 PDT

    The khat2 download has a binary infector, source code and a file called
    macto.txt.  The macro file has some information for downloading hacker
    defender (hxdef), a user level root kit, that if installed as part of the
    exploit could run at start up and do a very good job of hiding itself.  The
    best way to learn about hxdef to download the zip file
    http://rootkit.host.sk.  What your describing doesn't sound like hxdef,
    unless something went wrong in the execution, but rather like a stability
    problem that comes along when the rpc service crashes but the system hasn't
    been restarted.  Unfortunately the best way to discover hxdef on a system
    is with an off-line analysis.
    I've used FIRE to mount the disk of a rootkited windows box and then
    compared the files with what it said were there when it was on-line.  You
    just have to be careful to make sure that you keep in mind normal hidden
    files.  In my case there were a group of files starting with MsMgr that
    didn't appear elsewhere.  This is of course the very short version of what
    I went through to find it.

    John

    At 07:44 AM 8/13/2003 -0500, you wrote:
    >I've got reports of msblast infection that I've checked and they indeed do
    >have msblast. Also, these systems all have what appears to be a corrupted
    >control panel applet. The normal control panel shows up in a left hand frame
    >and the contents of add/remove programs is missing. Also, various popup
    >windows simply will not open.  I've read that there was a known root kit
    >that utilized the same dcom exploit called khat2 (spelling) but I'm not
    >having much luck in locating the symptoms of systems that have been rooted
    >in this manner. Any information would be appreciated. I will be recommending
    >that these systems be blown away and reinstalled from clean media, I'm just
    >looking for some info to verify what's eaten away at these things.
    >
    >Thank you.
    >
    >--
    >
    >Micheal Patterson
    >Network Administration
    >Cancer Care Network
    >405-733-2230

    John Ives, GCWN, GSEC
    Systems Administrator
    College of Chemistry
    (510) 643-1033

    "If you spend more on coffee than on IT security,  Then you will be hacked.
    What's more,  you deserve to be hacked."   - Richard Clarke

    Any opinions expressed are my own and not those of the Regents of the
    University of California.