RE: MSBLASTER Infecting despite 03-026 patch?

From: Marc Maiffret (marcat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 10:09:54 PDT

    Thanks for actually digging into the false positive to see the tool was
    working right. We get quite a lot of people that simply take everything for
    face value. Stuff like "I disabled DCOM but the tool says I am still
    vulnerable." but they "disabled DCOM" on Win2k sp0,sp1,sp2, and therefore it
    does not really disable it so the tool is still correct....

    If you do find any valid problems though let us know as we definitely do not
    want bugs within the tool, but mistakes happen.

    Signed,
    Marc Maiffret
    Chief Hacking Officer
    eEye Digital Security
    T.949.349.9062
    F.949.349.9538
    http://eEye.com/Retina - Network Security Scanner
    http://eEye.com/Iris - Network Traffic Analyzer
    http://eEye.com/SecureIIS - Stop known and unknown IIS vulnerabilities

    | > |
    | > |
    | > | This is something that really worries me, I've
    | > heard it to.
    | > | Also I am getting conflicting results when
    | > scanning for the patch
    | > | installation. I've been using MBSA, GFI LANguard
    | > and Retina which all
    | > | tell me something different.
    | > | Which one should I trust??
    | > | Or is there something else I should be using?
    | > |
    | > | Thanks
    | > | Mike
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | I have seen, and have heard other reports of,
    | > msblaster.exe worm
    | > | infecting a Windows computer that had the proper
    | > KB patch specified by
    | > | the 03-026 advisory.  In the instance I personally
    | > saw it was a Windows
    | > | XP Professional workstation that was completely
    | > patched.  The person who
    | > | used the workstation was surprised that they were
    | > infected since they
    | > | has applied the patch and I verified (via
    | > Add/Remove Programs) that they
    | > | did, indeed have the proper patch applied.  I
    | > checked with my parent
    | > | organization and they had been receiving sporadic
    | > reports of patched
    | > | machines being infected despite being patched.
    | > Unfortunately I removed
    | > | the worm from the computer without copying it so I
    | > don't have a backup
    | > | of it for analysis.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Has anyone else been seeing this phenomenon or do
    | > they have any idea why
    | > | this might have or might be happening? I know for
    | > a fact the patch that
    | > | was used came straight from Microsoft so I don't
    | > suspect a faulty patch.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Charles Hamby