RE: MSBLASTER Infecting despite 03-026 patch?

From: Marc Maiffret (marcat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 11:10:34 PDT

    | Hey! eEye!  What's with the crap UI for target selection?  single IPs, or
    | contiguous ranges only?  After how many years?  What about re-reading old
    | sessions, differences versus historical data and DB storage of findings?
    | What about parsing of TCPdumps, import/export of raw scan data?
    | What about
    | export / import of target lists?

    You seem a bit confused. Retina can have more than single IP's and
    contiguous ranges input into its interface, or from the command line. Some
    of the supported formats are:
    192.168.*.* <-- asterisks
    192.168.1.1-15 <-- dashes for ranges
    192.168.1.1,2,222,6 <-- comas for group
    Then you can use spaces between each to cluster everything together and mix
    and match with something like, "192.168.*.* 192.100.1.4-7 192.200.1-200.1"

    And then all of this flexible IP selection can be dumped into a plain text
    file (hosts file) and loaded into Retina for scanning from the GUI or from
    command line. Oh and there is IP exclusion lists also incase there are any
    hosts you want to 100% make sure do not get scanned.

    As for your comments about "re-reading old sessions, differences versus
    historical data and DB storage" we have all of that and a whole lot more.
    Like an entire web based enterprise vulnerability management solution.
    Complete with data trending, a ticketing system - for tracking the
    remediation of vulnerabilities, and more marketing blurbs i wont bore you
    with here. You can read more here though
    http://www.eeye.com/html/Solutions/EnterpriseVA/index.html.

    | These may not all be fair questions - Retina seems, like
    | LANGuard, to be a
    | tool for assisting System and Network Administrators instead of a
    | Security
    | Professional's power tool.

    Retina is actually nothing like LANGuard. LANGuard is much more meant for
    networks that are perfect with administrator access everywhere to be able to
    remotely asses machines whereas Retina has audits that do not require
    administrator access and ones that do, both sides of that fence. If you have
    budget constraints though definitely check out LANGuard as its not bad for
    the money.

    | The combo of Ethereal/ettercap/Nessus/Nmap with tcpdump and Snort is not
    | matched by ISS or Retina or anybody.  I'd rather have a Knoppix
    | CD-ROM in my
    | bag, than US $200K of any commercial tools.

    I agree, Retina is not a Snort/Ethereal/ettercap replacement, nor is
    Snort/Ethereal/ettercap a replacement for Retina. Nor did the apple I just
    eat taste like an orange.

    | Jeremiah Cornelius, CISSP, CCNA, MCSE
    | Information Security Technology
    | email: jcorneliat_private - mobile: 415.235.7689

    As always, we are not perfect but we do strive to be the best, end story. So
    feedback like this is definitely always welcome because it is the only thing
    that will help us make Retina better.

    Signed,
    Marc Maiffret
    Chief Hacking Officer