Re: Heads up! distributed scans and attacks targeting nsiss.dll

From: sunzi (sunzi@mod-x.co.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 13:03:27 PDT

    here's why: http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/8035/info/

    cheers,
    sunzi

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "oherrera" <oherreraat_private>
    To: <incidentsat_private>
    Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 7:11 PM
    Subject: Re: Heads up! distributed scans and attacks targeting nsiss.dll

    > We received one scan today from 206.29.36.131, with payload:
    > GET /scripts/nsiislog.dll. I don't remember seing this kind
    > of activity before in the last 3 months.
    >
    > Omar Herrera
    >
    > > Greetings All,
    > >          This morning I noticed that snort had logged a
    > > whole lot of "WEB-IIS nsiislog.dll access" alerts. After
    > > several hours of investigation I decided that there are
    > > enough interesting and different things about this
    > > incident to warrant writing a summary of what happened.

    -

    Captus Networks - Integrated Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping
     - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
     - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
     - Ensure Reliable Performance of Mission Critical Applications
     - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security and Performance Policies
    **FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo
    Visit us at:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CaptusNetworks_incidents_030814