Re: MSBlast and other known exploits..

From: Harlan Carvey (keydet89at_private)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 15:51:44 PDT

    Jay,

    > Another example of why rebuilding is ALWAYS the most
    > secure answer when
    > a machine has been compromised.  I have a feeling
    > that many of you that
    > are just blindly trusting these cleaners are going
    > to find out that this
    > isn't enough.  My 2 cents.  Rebuild.

    Just a couple of thoughts...

    1.  If the infection isn't Admin or System-level, why
    rebuild?

    2.  If a blind, unqualified rebuild is done, what
    happens?  If nothing is done to determine *how* the
    incident occurred, then what happens?  The system
    could be very quickly reinfected, leading to an
    endless cycle of infections and re-installs.  Or
    worse, the subsequent incident could be far deeper and
    far more stealthy.

    Harlan

    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

    Captus Networks - Integrated Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping
     - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
     - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
     - Ensure Reliable Performance of Mission Critical Applications
     - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security and Performance Policies
    **FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo
    Visit us at:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CaptusNetworks_incidents_030814