RE: MSBlast and other known exploits..

From: Brad Bemis (Brad.Bemisat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 22:25:18 PDT

    > 1.  If the infection isn't Admin or System-level, why
    > rebuild?

    In this case, the exploit takes place at the system-level, but it usually
    all depends on the attack vector used and the nature of the attack itself.

    > 2.  If a blind, unqualified rebuild is done, what
    > happens?  If nothing is done to determine *how* the
    > incident occurred, then what happens?  The system
    > could be very quickly reinfected, leading to an
    > endless cycle of infections and re-installs.  Or
    > worse, the subsequent incident could be far deeper and
    > far more stealthy.

    Good point, my only comment here is how?  I have a large staff of desktop
    support personnel that are very good at reimaging machines.  As far as I
    know, I am the only person in my company trained in computer forensics.  It
    would be hard to go beyond a blind, unqualified rebuild without taking a
    detailed look at each individual box (when you start thinking about the
    number of things that could be dropped on a compromised system).  In
    general, it should be assumed that once a system has been compromised at
    the admin/system level (as you have stated), the box is pretty much toast.

    Thank you for your time and attention,

    ========================
    Brad Bemis
    Information Security Services
    Airborne Express
    (206) 830-3478
    Email Notice: This communication may contain sensitive information. If you
    are not the intended recipient, or believe that you have received this
    communication in error; do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or
    otherwise use the information contained herein for any purpose. Please
    alert the sender that you have received this message in error, and delete
    the copy that you received.