possible 0-day exploit for latest Real-/Helixserver 9.0.2.794

From: Juri Haberland (juriat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 05:21:06 PDT

    Hello list,

    this is my first posting here, so please bear with me.

    A couple of days ago I found my Realnetworks Realserver suddenly
    restarting. A following run of 'tripwire --check' showed a changed
    /sbin/init and a file called 'inst' in /root.

    /sbin/init had nearly the same timestamp (Aug 12 23:17:29 2003) as the
    following log entry from the Realserver's rmerror.log file:

    ***12-Aug-03 23:18:12.471 rmserver(11402): Server automatically restarted
    due to fatal error condition

    This machine is a Intel server running Redhat 7.3 fully patched with all
    Redhat errata releases installed. Remotely accessable services are
    - Apache 1.3.27 (Redhat)
    - Bind 9.2.1 (Redhat)
    - ntpd 4.1.0 (Redhat)
    - openssh 3.1p1 (Redhat)
    - Postfix 1.1.13 (Simon J. Mudd RPM)
    - Courier-Imap 1.6.2 (RPM build out of the official sources)
    - Realserver 9.0.2.794 (latest release by Realnetworks)

    I'm not aware of any security issue in one of the above versions and
    according to http://service.real.com/help/faq/security/ I had the latest
    version of the Realserver running. It was also running as user real - not
    root (options User="real"; Group="real")

    I had a look at every logfile of every daemon, but only the Realserver
    logged something out of the ordinary at this time (but nothing more than
    the line above and the start messages).
    Also root's bash_history didn't show anything.

    The file /root/inst is a shell script that installs a rootkit named
    SucKIT in /usr/share/locale/es/.es12/sk, exchanges /sbin/init and starts
    the rootkit.

    After disabling this LKM i found a "sk" process running which showed up
    in lsof -i as following:
    sk        11398 root   10u  IPv4  2154042       UDP *:9875
    sk        11398 root   19u  IPv4  2154101       UDP *:48652
    sk        11398 root   20u  IPv4  2154102       UDP *:6770
    sk        11398 root   21u  IPv4 20277877       TCP
    myserver.tld:rtsp->shellx.tical.net:47327 (CLOSE_WAIT)
    sk        11398 root   22u  IPv4 20277879       TCP
    myserver.tld:42663->adsl-065-082-208-067.sip.jax.bellsouth.net:rtsp
    (CLOSE_WAIT)

    Maybe it's just a red herring. I'm not sure this is all that was
    installed on this machine though I don't have hints that there may be
    more. What buffles me a bit is that the timestamp of /root/inst is "Jul
    13 04:48" and not "Aug 12 23:17".

    So, is anyone aware of a remote hole in this version of Real-/Helixserver
    or any other software that I'm running? Or any other comments?

    Thanks,
    Juri

    Captus Networks - Integrated Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping
     - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
     - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
     - Ensure Reliable Performance of Mission Critical Applications
     - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security and Performance Policies
    **FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo
    Visit us at:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CaptusNetworks_incidents_030814