RE: Increasing ICMP Echo Requests

From: Robinson, Sonja (SRobinsonat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 12:09:07 PDT

    Probably this....
    ========================

    Virus Name  Risk Assessment
    W32/Nachi.worm  Corporate User  :  Medium
    Home User  :  Medium

    Virus Information
    Discovery Date:  08/18/2003
    Origin:  Unknown
    Length:  10,240 bytes (UPXed)
    Type:  Virus
    SubType:  Internet Worm
    Minimum DAT:
    Release Date:  4286
    08/18/2003
    Minimum Engine:  4.1.60
    Description Added:  08/18/2003
    Description Modified:  08/18/2003 10:53 AM (PT)
     Description Menu
    Virus Characteristics
    Symptoms
    Method Of Infection
    Removal Instructions
    Variants / Aliases
    Rate This page
        Print This Page
    Email This Page
    Legend

    Virus Characteristics:
    This detection is for another virus that exploits the MS03-026
    vulnerability.

    It is not related to the W32/Lovsan.worm.d variant described here.

    The virus is detected by the current Daily DATs as Exploit-DcomRpc virus
    (with scanning of compressed files enabled).

    Intentions of the worm
    This worm tries spreads by exploiting a hole in Microsoft Windows. It
    instructs a remote target system to download and execute the worm from the
    infected host. Once running, the worm terminates and deletes the
    W32/Lovsan.worm.a process and applies the Microsoft patch to prevent other
    threats from infecting the system through the same hole. When the system
    clock reaches Jan 1, 2004, the worm will delete itself upon execution.

    Symptoms
    large volumes of ICMP traffic in network
    existence of the files and Windows services detailed above

    Method Of Infection
    This worm spreads by exploiting a vulnerability in Microsoft Windows. It
    scans the local subnet (port 135) for target machines. It sends an ICMP ping
    to potential victim machines, and upon a reply, sends the exploit data. A
    remote shell is created on the target system on TCP port 707. Victim
    machines are instructed to download the worm via TFTP.

    Irrespective of anti-virus detection, unless the system has been (MS03-026)
    patched, it is susceptible to the buffer overflow attack from an infected
    host machine. An infected machine will send packets across the local subnet
    to the RPC service running on port 135. When these packets are received by
    any unpatched system, it will create a buffer overflow and crash the RPC
    service on that system. All this can occur without the worm actually being
    on the machine.

    By applying the MS03-026 patch to the machine, it will prevent the RPC
    service from failing, in-turn solving these symptoms. It is very important
    that the machine is rebooted after the patch has been installed.

    Sonja Robinson, CISA
    Network Security Analyst
    HIP Health Plans
    Office:  212-806-4125