Re: Increasing ICMP Echo Requests

From: Daniel Williams (dwilliamsat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 11:36:44 PDT

    Ken,
    We're seeing the same ICMP pattern.
    Is this from the blaster? We are looking into filtering ICMP echo
    request on our external routers.

    Here is a snip from our IDS,
     [**] [1:483:2] ICMP PING CyberKit 2.2 Windows [**]
    [Classification: Misc activity] [Priority: 3]
    [Xref => http://www.whitehats.com/info/IDS154]
    Event ID: 179333     Event Reference: 0
    08/18/03-18:27:28.386411 65.83.120.72 -> xx.xx.xx.xx
    ICMP TTL:118 TOS:0x0 ID:21399 IpLen:20 DgmLen:92
    Type:8  Code:0  ID:2   Seq:61261  ECHO
    AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA  ................
    AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA  ................
    AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA  ................
    AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AA  ................

    Thanks
    Daniel Williams
    Cedar Document Technologies