RE: is this the start of something naughty?

From: DeGennaro, Gregory (Gregory_DeGennaroat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 11:42:35 PDT

    http://www.cert.org/current/current_activity.html#icmpincrease

    Regards,

    Greg DeGennaro Jr., CCNP
    Security Analyst

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Charles Blackburn [mailto:charlesb@summerfield-technology.co.uk]
    Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 3:25 AM
    To: incidentsat_private
    Subject: is this the start of something naughty?

    Hi

    I received approximately 100 of these within the space of 30 minutes or so
    from numerous different IP addresses and on my /29 block (2/3 machines and
    also the broadcast/and network addresses). Now I've had a few shall we say
    erm, "funnies" going on on this one machine lately with problems when it's
    rebooted which seem to be fixed by a kernel rebuild, but that could be a
    hardware problem. however it could be more indicative of an attack maybe
    even a successful one.

    Aug 18 10:46:14 thunder snort: [1:483:2] ICMP PING CyberKit 2.2 Windows
    [Classification: Misc activity] [Priority: 3]: {ICMP} 80.253.133.136 ->
    xx.xx.xx.120/123/125/127

    120/127 are the end of my 8 IP block, 125 is the machine with the funnies,
    and 123 is a windows 98 vmware session that I've only just finished
    installing windows in.

    it's always those same IP's and never any of the others.

    my question is, what can i do to see whether my box has been compromised (a
    rebuild's not much a problem as i was going to do it anyway :P) and if could
    any of you "1337" (i use that term loosely) help me.

    regards
    charles

    Captus Networks - Integrated Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping
     - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
     - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
     - Ensure Reliable Performance of Mission Critical Applications
     - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security and Performance Policies
    **FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo
    Visit us at:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CaptusNetworks_incidents_030814