Re: Increasing ICMP Echo Requests

From: Patrick Benson (bensonat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 02:59:05 PDT

    Kevin Patz wrote:

    > Upon reading of this, I enabled logging of ping
    >
    > requests on my firewall.  So far I've only seen three
    >
    > with len=92:
    >
    > 24.64.90.16 (Shaw Communcations)
    >
    > 24.60.234.130 (Comcast, formerly attbi)
    >
    > 24.61.246.103 (Comcast, formerly attbi)
    >
    > My IP is on Comcast, formerly attbi, on a 24.62 IP
    >
    > range.  I also have some pings with len=60 but they
    >
    > look more like "normal" ICMP echo requests.

    If you allow the ones with len=92 through your firewall take note that
    you will be seeing from those very same addresses (neighbors I should
    say) traffic being denied on port 445 in your logs. Personally I don't
    use Win2k or XP but isn't there some way for users to turn this off, it
    gets quite *noisy* down the line!  :-)

    Regards,
    --
    Patrick Benson
    Stockholm, Sweden

    Captus Networks - Integrated Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping
     - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
     - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
     - Ensure Reliable Performance of Mission Critical Applications
     - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security and Performance Policies
    **FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo
    Visit us at:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CaptusNetworks_incidents_030814