Strange blaster behavior

From: FWAdmin (FWAdminat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 05:51:32 PDT

    Hey all.

    Yesterday I started noticing some very odd traffic on our firewall. We were
    getting scanned by IP address 127.0.0.1 with a port of 80, and destined to a
    random internal IP address, high port number. I used tcpdump to see what was
    going on and the packets were TCP RST/ACKs. We used MAC addresses to trace
    the source back to a few internal machines infected with MSBlaster. When we
    cleaned them, the scans stopped.

    Has anyone else seen this? We don't have any entries for Windowsupdate.com
    on 127.0.0.1 as suggested earlier in the list, but AFAIK that IP should
    NEVER show up on a network, and it even went through a few routers. There
    was no stimulus to elicit the RST/ACK response either.

    In the meantime, I will try and find some tcpdump traces of it. I have the
    executable that seems to have caused it and I will try and duplicate it in a
    controlled environment.

    Thanks

    		-Jason

    Jason Thompson
    Security Analyst
    Networks and Communications
    xwave

    -------------------------
    This e-mail communication (including any or all attachments) is intended
    only for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed and may
    contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the intended
    recipient of this e-mail, any use, review, retransmission,  distribution,
    dissemination, copying, printing, or other use of, or taking of any action
    in reliance upon this e-mail, is strictly prohibited. If you have received
    this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete the original and
    any copy of this e-mail and any printout thereof, immediately. Your
    co-operation is appreciated.

    Le present courriel (y compris toute piece jointe) s'adresse uniquement a
    son destinataire, qu'il soit une personne ou un organisme, et pourrait
    comporter des renseignements privilegies ou confidentiels. Si vous n'etes
    pas le destinataire du courriel, il est interdit d'utiliser, de revoir, de
    retransmettre, de distribuer, de disseminer, de copier ou d'imprimer ce
    courriel, d'agir en vous y fiant ou de vous en servir de toute autre facon.
    Si vous avez recu le present courriel par erreur, priere de communiquer avec
    l'expediteur et d'eliminer l'original du courriel, ainsi que toute copie
    electronique ou imprimee de celui-ci, immediatement. Nous sommes
    reconnaissants de votre collaboration.

    Captus Networks - Integrated Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping
     - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
     - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
     - Ensure Reliable Performance of Mission Critical Applications
     - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security and Performance Policies
    **FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo
    Visit us at:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CaptusNetworks_incidents_030814