Re: ICMP port 2048 scans

From: Marcel Thraenhardt (mtat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 05:21:57 PDT

    Hello morgs,
    >Is it just me or is anyone else getting nailed every 1
    minite from various
    >sources asking for a connection to port 2048. There
    seems to be various
    >services that use this port including things like
    router configuration and
    >ssh in some cases. Some new worm or virus maybe?

    Every minute would be nice, there are a few million
    connections a day in our /19 net currently and the
    number is radidply rising (since 2003-08-19).

    Am I  right you get this Information from a Cisco
    router or a non-Linux firewall? I also wondered what
    port 2048/icmp wolud mean. The ICMP Protocol doesn't
    implement  ports, but the headers are similar to TCP
    and UDP. ICMP uses specific Types and codes instead of
    ports. If you code "2048" to HEX, you get 0x8000, this
    means ICMP type 8, code 0, in words "echo request" aka
    "ping".

    It took me some time to figure out these connections
    are ordinary pings.

    Anyway, they cause heavy load to our Netflow-based
    Accounting.

    Does anybody have the same problems or even knows where
    the scans come from?

    Marcel

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
    October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
    technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
    Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
    Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com