Re: ICMP port 2048 scans

From: Logan Rogers-Follis - TNTNetworx.net (loganat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 08:43:44 PDT

    I also might note this is a good reason to have a Software based
    firewall on the boxes even if they sit on an internal network.  I know
    that's what protected my business computer when our servers got hit
    recently (hit 3 other workstations what were unpatched and unfirewalled).

    Logan

    Valdis.Kletnieksat_private wrote:

    >On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:50:53 -0000, Ryan McConky <rmcconkyat_private>  said:

    >>We are seeing the same thing on our routers. What is troubling me is that
    >>it is incrementing the dest ip by one each second. Like it is scanning.
    >>It is scanning internal and external networks. Most traced to Asian
    >>countries. Anyone else seeing this?
    >>

    >Hmm.. you *just* noticed the Nachi worm ping-scanning your net, huh? ;)
    >
    >Wait a bit, you'll see it from all over.  If you had any unpatched windows boxes
    >on your net, you'll be seeing it from inside your net too.. ;)

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
    October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
    technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
    Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
    Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com