Re: strange web traffic

From: Etaoin Shrdlu (shrdluat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 09:27:17 PDT

    Pall Thayer wrote:

    > For the past week and a half or so, I've been noticing several strange
    > entries in my webserver access log. Although they appear harmless, the
    > volume of the requests worries me a bit. Here's what they look like:
    >
    > 218.103.121.39 - - [26/Aug/2003:08:28:12 +0000] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 686 "-"
    > "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98)"

    [...]

    > What makes them strange is that when my server recieves a request for the
    > root file, it should result in five seperate requests. A legitimate request
    > looks like this:

    [...]

    > The dodgy ones only appear once and another thing that makes them strange is
    > that aside from the IP number, they are all identical:
    >
    > GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 686 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98)"

    Yep. Seen this. To remove your suspense, or at least to allay your
    curiousity, I can tell you that I've seen a large amount of this traffic,
    almost always directed at a machine that was running WinXP up until DefCon
    (August 1, 2003, for those that want exactitude). I enabled apache on it
    long enough to log, and got precisely this response.

    These probes would not have interested me, if it had not been that they
    seemed paired with the random nachia/blaster noise that so afflicts DSL
    space right now. Invariably, these machines are actually running a
    vulnerable copy of Win2k. I got bored and quit poking after that.
    Truthfully, is there such a thing as a non-vulnerable copy of anything
    microsoftian? Probably not.

    No, I didn't leave apache up. Yes, I was logging other things at the time
    (anyone who knows me at all knows that I tend to be watching the packet
    stream live; I'm my own favorite IDS). No, there are no other attempts. The
    machine is currently running OpenBSD 3.2 (it was the first CD that loaded
    cleanly on my laptop). I wonder if the responses would have been greater,
    or more complex, if my apache had claimed to be IIS?

    > Anyone have any info on this?

    Hoped that helped, at least in satisfying your curiosity.

    --
    In April 1951, Galaxy published C.M. Kornbluth's "The Marching Morons".
    The intervening years have proven Kornbluth right.

                   --Valdis Kletnieks

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
    October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
    technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
    Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
    Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com