Re: strange HTTP requests

From: bugtraqat_private
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 09:29:13 PDT

    > On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 bugtraqat_private wrote:
    >
    > > This is a perfectly valid http request. Opening up a raw connection to "vh.org" I see the following.
    > >
    > > Request
    > > GET / HTTP/1.0
    > > Host: vh.org
    >
    > Valid yes. Suspicious, also yes. Any of the many client browsers, indeed
    > many web spiders will at least send an Agent header. The sparse request

    Yes many will, but not all. I know of people who have designed spiders for the company they work for without assigning
    a user-agent header. Most search engines on the otherhand will assign one for their spiders. I agree though it is fairly
    common to assign one. Have you tried identifying the owner of the ip address/blocks?
    I'm curious if perhaps it is a "in house" spider that perhaps isn't working/designed properly(like someone checking to see if they site has changed).

    > alone does not equal hositile intent, I agree. However, the same user
    > attempting to visit the URL "http://vh.org/" every five minutes, 24/7? Not
    > normal behavior.

    Ah, I overlooked this at the bottom of your post my bad.

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
    October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
    technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
    Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
    Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com