Re: strange HTTP requests

From: Bill Carlson (wcarlsonat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 09:05:50 PDT

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 bugtraqat_private wrote:

    > This is a perfectly valid http request. Opening up a raw connection to "vh.org" I see the following.
    >
    > Request
    > GET / HTTP/1.0
    > Host: vh.org

    Valid yes. Suspicious, also yes. Any of the many client browsers, indeed
    many web spiders will at least send an Agent header. The sparse request
    alone does not equal hositile intent, I agree. However, the same user
    attempting to visit the URL "http://vh.org/" every five minutes, 24/7? Not
    normal behavior.

    > I suspect #1 confidently. This would be something in your site configuration and not an attack, at least not with the information
    > you provided below. I would read RFC 2616 for more information on HTTP 1.1 and how it works.

    I am well aware of HTTP/1.1 and its workings, my configuration is by
    design, not accident.

    Bill Carlson
    --
    Systems Administrator    wcarlsonat_private      | Anything is possible,
    Virtual Hospital      http://www.vh.org/      | given time and money.

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
    October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
    technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
    Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
    Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com