GACI item list - to give some items for discussion

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 02:18:21 PDT

    Amon Ott wrote:

    > On Don, 12 Apr 2001 Amon Ott wrote:
    > > Personally, I do believe that a module interface will be insufficient for
    > > RSBAC, SELinux and some other projects.
    > This was not precise. A kernel module only interface will be insufficient,
    > because modules get loaded too late, and we need a lot of information from the
    > kernel.

    While this is certainly a valid security issue, to me it just defines this issue
    as beyond the scope of the linux-security-module (LSM) project.  There's no way
    that LSM can solve all security problems, it's just supposed to enable the

    The problem of a high integrity boot sequence has been studied
    http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/arbaugh97secure.html  The solution is that each
    "level" in the boot sequence checsum's the next level before starting it, i.e.
    the boot proms checksum the bios, which checksums lilo, which checksums vmlinuz,
    which checksums the modules, etc.

    It is valid work to propose that Linux should have a high integritty boot
    sequence.  It's just not what this project is about.  To me, security modules are
    about keeping the attacker from getting sufficient privilege to mess with your
    boot sequence.  If they can hack your module config and force a reboot, you've
    already lost, so I'm just not going to worry about it in this context.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.