Re: The bootstrap process

From: Andrew Morgan (morganat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 17:17:14 PDT

    David Wagner wrote:

    > Andrew Morgan  wrote:
    > >I don't mean configure my module. I mean, things like: aud_get_id(); or
    > >inf_set_file(); etc., which in a kernel patch would be system calls.
    >
    > Again, why do those need to be system calls?  Seems like they can
    > all be handled with an entry in the /proc filesystem (or another fs).
    > It sounds like I must not understand the problem.

    getpid() is a system call. Are you arguing that getpid() could equally
    well be implemented in the /proc/ filesystem? chmod() is a system call,
    are you saying that it could equally well be implemented in the /proc/
    filesystem?

    >From where I stand these functions are all essentially equivalent and
    thus all seem like system calls to me. Is this that what you are saying
    too, but concluding that all new functions should be implemented via the
    /proc/ interface?

    Thanks

    Andrew