Re: The bootstrap process

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 19:49:41 PDT

    Andrew Morgan  wrote:
    >getpid() is a system call. Are you arguing that getpid() could equally
    >well be implemented in the /proc/ filesystem? chmod() is a system call,
    >are you saying that it could equally well be implemented in the /proc/
    >filesystem?

    I could argue that getpid() is a call that's part of a minimum base
    guaranteed to be available to every process whereas aud_get_id() is not,
    but I'll skip the philosophy and stick to pragmatics.  Suppose you have to
    use /proc instead of a syscall for aud_get_id() -- where's the harm harm?
    Isn't it basically an academic question whether aud_get_id() is a syscall
    or a /proc entry?  Am I missing something?

    Or, to put it another way: I'll bet you dollars to donuts that Linus
    won't accept any patch that involves creating a aud_get_id() syscall
    without a really compelling argument that no alternative will suffice.
    What's the argument?