Re: icky performance tweaks (was Re: Benchmarks)

From: Karim Yaghmour (karymat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 03:17:55 PDT

    Shane Kerr wrote:

    > On 2001-04-16 00:49:55 +0000, Karim Yaghmour wrote:
    > >
    > > May I point out that "should be" is different from "can be" and I'm
    > > afraid you'll find it hard to reach the 0.1% mark unless you resort to
    > > self-modifying code.
    >
    > Huh?  On modern CPU's, self-modifying code is a huge performance killer.
    > Which is good, because it's also a nightmare to maintain.  I think this,
    > along with the bitmask idea, can be safely sent to /dev/null.  Certainly
    > nobody is going to stop anyone who wants to play around with performance
    > tweaks like this, but I hate to see anyone waste a lot of time on
    > techniques that won't work.  :(

    Thanks, but I didn't mean eternally self-modifying code. What I
    meant is that you insert a couple of nops in the normal flow
    of code and when you want to hook onto an event, you simply
    overwrite the nops with a call to the function you want. This
    isn't something that should happen more than once in normal
    system behavior. Hence, it costs a lot the first time, but
    after that, it's business as usual.

    Cheers,

    Karim