Re: Implementing hooks

From: Andrew Morgan (morganat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 14:09:13 PDT

    David Wheeler wrote:
    > approach would at least need to be available.  However, it's my understanding
    > that few systems actually _RUN_ out of their ROMs.  So, if you separate

    Right on the money. Modern processors are extremely fast. Modern ROMs
    are not. They are not cheap and RAM is, so pretty much everyone executes
    as few instructions as possible from ROM and 'shadows' (which usually
    involves decompression) to ram as soon as they can. Example in point,
    Linus himself created cramfs for embedded systems...

    Cheers

    Andrew