Re: Hook function suggestion

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 13:33:59 PDT

    Amon Ott wrote:

    > On Don, 19 Apr 2001 buddy wrote:
    > > As an example, needing root privileges in order to (un)load modules doesn't make
    > > me feel any safer, but apparently I'm more paranoid than you are. ;-) I'm worried
    > > about all those people relying on their LKM notifying them of a root compromise,
    > > and being owned all the same.
    >
    > One of my main reasons for saying 'Modules are not secure enough'. However, if
    > all we have (or can get) is a modules interface, let's make the best out of it.

    A module interface is all we can get out of the standard kernel.  Linux remains open
    source, so you can do more (much more) on your own fork, elsewhere.  I heartily
    encourage people to do so.

    In particular, the validity of kernel modules is a very fine thing to work on.  The
    catch is that validity is a cascading sequence of trust that goes all the way back to
    the reset pin on the CPU (and right inside the CPU, if you are that paranoid).  It's
    like this:

       * the CPU needs to validate a signature on the BIOS, to make sure it has not been
         flashed by an attacker
       * the BIOS needs to validate lilo (or whatever boot sector thingie) to make sure it
         has not been corrupted
       * lilo needs to validate the kernel, to make sure that /boot/vmlinuz has not been
         corrupted

    Only then does it add value for the kernel to validate the LSM module, because only
    then can you trust that the kernel itself has not been corrupted.  root can corrupt any
    of these stages, so if we only harden the LSM interface, it just squishes the problem
    elsewhere.

    So, if someone wants to work on secure bootstrapping sequences, I suggest the
    following:

       * check out Bill Arbaugh's PhD on secure bootstrapping sequences
         http://www.cs.umd.edu/~waa/aegis.html
       * talk to Bill (cc'd);  I happen to know that he has a grad student working on this
       * help them develop the secure bootstrap in the Linux BIOS project
         http://www.acl.lanl.gov/linuxbios/

    When you're done, come back and chat to us about extending the secure bootstrap to the
    LSM module.

    There's a way to get this done right, but it doesn't start with LSM.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.