Re: GACI item list - to give some items for discussion

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 18:59:56 PDT

    Jesse Pollard  wrote:
    >That wasn't quite the question I was considerding:
    >
    >	a) Would I be allowed to open the file IF I had the following...
    >
    >The question posed by the samble code above is:
    >
    >	b) Would I be allowed to open the file IF I attempted to open
    >	   the file..
    >
    >Big difference. The question a) is more like what would be used by daemons
    >(NFS/Samba...) to avoid changing uid. The second question b) is not really
    >usefull since the open itself makes the same query.

    However, apps that ask question (a) are often broken, so I won't complain
    if we don't provide support for question (a).  I also won't mind if
    we do let modules provide support for question (a) -- other folks are
    welcome to do this, if they think it is useful.  What I *would* object
    to is if *all* modules are required to support question (a): IMHO,
    that's a policy decision that we shouldn't be making in this project.