Re: A Comment from User Space

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 19:52:24 PDT

    >You've got it backwards.  We *know* that 'access()' is fundementally
    >screwed up.
    >
    >BUT WHAT IF IT ACTUALLY WORKED?

    No, no, it's worse than you realize.  What you want is fundamentally
    impossible, with the access() current interface.  The
      if (access()) { open(); }
    code sequence is inherently vulnerable to TOCTTOU attacks (race conditions).
    You'd have to invent a new, secure interface to get this right, and access()
    isn't it.  Haven't I explained this about five or six times now?