Re: A Comment from User Space

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 20:11:54 PDT

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 02:52:24 BST, dawat_private (David Wagner)  said:
    > >BUT WHAT IF IT ACTUALLY WORKED?
    > No, no, it's worse than you realize.  What you want is fundamentally

    No, I realize exactly what the problem is.

    > impossible, with the access() current interface.  The

    Right. With the *CURRENT INTERFACE*.

    > You'd have to invent a new, secure interface to get this right, and access()
    > isn't it.  Haven't I explained this about five or six times now?

    Right. And I'm saying that *THIS* is the time to at least think about
    defining a new, secure interface.

    OK everybody - knowing what we know *NOW*, how would we define
    a 'what_access_should_have_been()' interface?  Remember that as
    long as we're at it, we should be more general than just "do the
    file permissions allow open()" - we should look at sockets, mmap,
    and things like that.

    /Valdis