Re: A Comment from User Space

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 17:09:40 PDT

    Casey Schaufler wrote:

    > David Wagner wrote:
    > > ... single "int pre_foo();" hook now and later want
    > > to support multiple registrants, you may well have to change the
    > > interface in a non-backwards-compatible way.
    >
    > Life will be much easier if systems have a single policy.
    > Nested, stacked, heaped, and comingled policies leave end
    > users with many questions and support organizations with
    > few answers. I you must have multiple registered policies,
    > how about a seperate module which is the registable policy
    > policy module? That way poicies which wish to be free from
    > interference from other modules can be.

    I'm in an agreeable mood today :-)

       * I agree with Casey that comingling policies is hard, and likely to
         produce a mess.
       * I agree with Seth that having multiple modules is going to be
         necessary in practice, esp. if one of the modules is Capabilities.
       * I agree with Greg that it's better to make the first module loaded
         be the multiplexor, rather than building a separate multiplexor
         module, and/or requiring every module to be able to multiplex.

    Basically, I want "teams" of modules to be able to cooperate if they were
    designed to cooperate, but not require arbitrary collections of modules
    to necessarily be able to cooperate:

       * SubDomain and CryptoMark need to be able to cooperate.
       * Capabilites need to be able to cooperate with everyone.
       * It is not necessary that SubDomain, LIDS, and Janus be able to
         cooperate.

    Does that make sense?

    Crispin

    P.S.  Casey, would you give your project a name, so I can refer to it in
    example lists like this? :-)

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.