Re: intercepting system calls

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 12:27:57 PDT

    > In the papers and
    > studies published on the predecessors of SELinux (see the papers and
    > reports accessible via the links on
    > http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/background.html),
    > we've argued that capability-based systems are poorly suited for
    > enforcing security policies.

    To be more specific, I'm referring to the following papers and
    studies:

    The Flask Security Architecture:  System Support for Diverse Security
    Policies, 8th USENIX Security Symposium, Aug 1999,
    http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/flask-abs.html

    Providing Policy Control Over Object Operations in a Mach Based System,
    5th USENIX Security Symposium, June 1995,
    http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/fluke/html/dtos/HTML/abstracts.html#usenix95

    DTOS General System Security and Assurability Assessment Report, June
    1997, http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/fluke/html/dtos/HTML/technical-docs.html

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private