Re: Notes from the Real World

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 14:42:34 PDT

    Seth Arnold wrote:

    > * jmjonesat_private <jmjonesat_private> [010501 08:57]:
    > > Before I devise a benchmark program to do so, does anyone have
    > > any thoughts about exactly *what* you would like to see tested?
    >
    > The first two that come to mind: lmbench and kernel compiles. (lmbench
    > can be downloaded from www.bitmover.com.)

    I STRONGLY second that motion for lmbench:  it is an outstanding
    microbenchmark for measuring the cost of core OS system calls and
    services:  context switch, process creation, networking, and IPC.  Linus
    strongly respects lmbench results, so its important for us to use this
    benchmark.

    Kernel compiles are a fairly good macrobenchmark.  It is not exactly a
    typical server workload, unless your server is a compile server :-) but it
    pretty heavily exercises the machine, and it's easy to run frequently,
    because kernel hackers have to run it frequently anyway :-)

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.