Re: Extending a Security Module

From: Greg KH (gregat_private)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 12:36:28 PDT

    On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 04:11:15PM -0400, jmjonesat_private wrote:

    > On 22 May 2001, David Wagner wrote:
    >
    > > but is
    > > getting into this discussion now a good idea?

    Not again.  I thought we agreed to not worry about this right now. :)

    > My suggestion involves only a few lines in the current
    > patch, and certainly could be "erased" if a better idea
    > comes along, but the idea of stackable modules seems
    > VERY core, at this point, *to me*.

    No it doesn't.  It requires every hook to add the ability to chain
    modules.  Let's drop this for now and then bring it up when we have a
    working system.

    > Somebody used the phrase "The Unix Way" before.  The Unix
    > Way is to build small active components and mix and match
    > them to fit the specific needs of the system.  If only
    > ONE module is possible without back end fixes from the
    > module... that may be good for commercial module builders
    > but I think it kind of "cripples" the "unix way".

    "The Unix Way" does not pertain to kernel modules in any sense of the
    phrase.  Think usermode programs, not kernelspace.

    greg k-h