Re: Extending a Security Module

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 13:11:15 PDT

    On 22 May 2001, David Wagner wrote:

    > but is
    > getting into this discussion now a good idea?

    Not necessarily, but not necessarily NOT either.  I'm
    actually coding to this spec (with the full realization that
    it might end up "trash and burn, start again" in the future,
    in an attempt to see what MIGHT be *simply* addressable now,
    and that I'd dearly want later.

    My suggestion involves only a few lines in the current
    patch, and certainly could be "erased" if a better idea
    comes along, but the idea of stackable modules seems
    VERY core, at this point, *to me*.

    Somebody used the phrase "The Unix Way" before.  The Unix
    Way is to build small active components and mix and match
    them to fit the specific needs of the system.  If only
    ONE module is possible without back end fixes from the
    module... that may be good for commercial module builders
    but I think it kind of "cripples" the "unix way".

    <- Gets out checkbook, prepared to buy the 7 modules that
    fit my fancy and stack them...

    (^_^)
    J. Melvin Jones