Re: permissive vs. restrictive issue and solutions...

From: sarnoldat_private
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 09:59:53 PDT

    On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 12:39:57PM -0400, jmjonesat_private wrote:
    > That, and, the only "clean" way I can feel happy about #3 is to leave
    > the capabilities in the kernel altogether and it might be easier to
    > sell the whole package if we listen to "Linus specifically said that
    > he would like to see the capabilities mechanism moved out of the
    > kernel into a module."

    I don't think we can say that quite so specifically. :)

    http://mail.wirex.com/pipermail/linux-security-module/2001-April/000005.html

    The closest I found in either of those two emails is something along the
    lines of, "pluggable good, capabilities nice default". I never got the
    impression that Linus would accept our work only if capabilities is
    moved to module space.

    Now, for my votes: I don't like the many possible hook placement idea.
    The one that moves a lot of logic into modules sounds workable and is
    perhaps my preference. The one that passes the kernel's suggestion along
    is actually my favorite *where the kernel makes any sort of decision
    already*. I haven't looked at the hook placements carefully enough to
    know if the kernel always makes decisions near hooks or not, but I can
    easily imagine it not bothering. And I wouldn't much like to pass dummy
    values around, nor would I like to clutter the interface so that some
    hooks accept arguments and other hooks do not -- based on their current
    placements in the kernel.

    Yeah, option number two sounds fine to me, though I am not enamoured
    with it. (Primarily because each module author will either need to
    duplicate the functionality of the current kernel checks, or will need
    to chain modules together. Worse things have happened, though. :)

    Cheers