Re: permissive vs. restrictive issue and solutions...

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 11:10:34 PDT

    On Fri, 1 Jun 2001 sarnoldat_private wrote:

    > Yeah, option number two sounds fine to me, though I am not enamoured
    > with it. (Primarily because each module author will either need to
    > duplicate the functionality of the current kernel checks, or will need
    > to chain modules together. Worse things have happened, though. :)

    "Limited stackable" or "Chained" is now possible, and with a tiny bit
    of refinement in the distant future, very practical.  That eliminates
    a lot of *required* duplication of effort, and if you're writing a "whole
    ball of wax" module the small amount of logic that will move out is probably
    going to be insignificant to the total weight of the project, imho.  If
    not, it would likely be easy to build common code that can be "sucked"
    into module code and modified at will...

    I'm not overly comfortable with the presupposition that making
    module developers think through more things and code it is a bad
    thing (spoken as a "budding LSM developer")... differing solutions are to
    be valued, and to get them you need to create some "surmountable"
    problems.  Security is not "easy" stuff. It requires serious thought,
    planning, and research.  The more of the picture that ends up in the
    module development project, the better, in my view.

    Then again, I've "yet to code" (factor 10), and there are "gotta PORT"
    projects that may see the exact opposite view.

    Removing the need for module developers to think about it by keeping
    some decisions in the kernel as "sacred"... guarentees fewer "flashes of
    brilliance" without fighting to make the LSM interface patch include it,
    such as the post that started this discussion moving.

    Rallying Cry: MOVE IT TO THE MODULE!

    > Cheers

    Salut!
    J. Melvin Jones