Re: Where Are We?

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 10:26:43 PDT

    On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Chris Lundberg wrote:

    > Chris (Other Chris): Move kernel logic into a default security module.
    > Chain (or in some VERY restricted cases replace) onto that default module
    > for everyone elses modules.

    Could you clarify what you mean by "kernel logic"?  (Same question to
    each person who is advocating moving the kernel logic into the modules).
    For example, does "kernel logic" include all >500 calls to capable(),
    including cases where capable() is called by itself rather than
    being in compound logic?  Or would you be satisfied simply to
    have the compound logic statements plus the guts of the capable
    function in the module, leaving many of the simple capable() calls
    unchanged?  Also, what part of permission() constitutes "kernel logic"?
    Is it just the vfs_permission logic?  What about when the file system
    implementation defines its own permission routine for its inodes?
    Does "kernel logic" just mean the call to inode->i_op->permission,
    or does it mean all of the permission routines in the various
    filesystem implementations?

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private