Re: New LSM patch for consideration

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 12:57:09 PDT

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Stephen Smalley wrote:

    > On Tue, 19 Jun 2001 jmjonesat_private wrote:
    >
    > > I've been trying to apply it to an original 2.4.5 kernel, and
    > > get several errors.  Is it relative to
    > >
    > > 2.4.6-pre3
    > > 2.4.5-original
    > > 2.4.5-lsm (with the last released patch).
    >
    > Sorry for the confusion.  My patch was relative to the "head" of
    > the WireX BitKeeper tree in order to allow them to easily integrate
    > it.  The WireX BitKeeper tree is difficult to characterize -
    > at one time, it was consistent with the 5/30 released patch,
    > but WireX then committed several changes that never showed
    > up in a released patch and WireX then merged with 2.4.6-pre3.
    > Anyway, Chris Wright ended up asking for a 2.4.5-based patch
    > to allow them to create a new LSM patch based on a stable version.
    > For your viewing pleasure, here is my patch relative to the 5/30
    > released patch.  This includes both my changes and changes made by
    > WireX between the released patch and the 2.4.6-pre3 merge.  Oh,
    > but this doesn't include my recent capabilities-related patch.

    Thanks.  Since capabilities may now be "problem next", I'm not worried
    about it for the moment.

    > > Due to licensing issues, I don't have access to the bitkeeper tree at this
    > > time.  Where and how should I apply the patch to see what the results are?
    >
    > I don't understand why you can't use BitKeeper to access the lsm tree.
    > The license shouldn't matter for just viewing the lsm tree.

    I contacted the people at BitKeeper.  They were very helpful, but,
    clearly, BitKeeper is not public domain, nor "prestinely GPL".   My
    support of LSM is hosted on a MIPS Nevada 1.0 processor (admittedly olde),
    but there are issues with introducing BitKeeper into my cyberspace because I
    do not exclusively (or primarily) support open software.  (Okay, now I am
    "evil" to the majority of the lurkers on this list. :))

    BitKeeper is the best choice for LSM, but it is not necessarily the best
    choice for me.

    Patches against 2.4.5 or 2.4.6-pre# are instantly usable to me.  I will
    look forward to the "official patch" against those, and thanks for the
    the "unofficial patch" that I can use.

    > --
    > Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    > ssmalleyat_private