Bitkeeper (was: New LSM patch for consideration)

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 13:05:20 PDT

    jmjonesat_private wrote:

    > On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Stephen Smalley wrote:
    > > I don't understand why you can't use BitKeeper to access the lsm tree.
    > > The license shouldn't matter for just viewing the lsm tree.
    >
    > I contacted the people at BitKeeper.  They were very helpful, but,
    > clearly, BitKeeper is not public domain, nor "prestinely GPL".   My
    > support of LSM is hosted on a MIPS Nevada 1.0 processor (admittedly olde),

    That is your problem :-)

    > but there are issues with introducing BitKeeper into my cyberspace because I
    > do not exclusively (or primarily) support open software.  (Okay, now I am
    > "evil" to the majority of the lurkers on this list. :))

    That doesn't make sense to me.  WireX also works on proprietary software, we just
    don't put it on Bitkeeper.  Having BK in your house does not taint all of your
    software.

    For those who are interested, we're using BK for LSM in part to try it out.  If
    we really like it, we may buy commercial licenses of BK for use in our
    proprietary development.  So far, it is doing better than CVS, and is certainly
    more attractive than behemoths like ClearCase.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.