Re: Bitkeeper (was: New LSM patch for consideration)

From: Chris Wright (chrisat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 15:40:54 PDT

    * jmjonesat_private (jmjonesat_private) wrote:

    > All I can offer is that I talked to my attorneys and was advised against
    > accepting BitKeeper's license based on my intentions and expectations.
    > Attorneys think "differently" than technical people, which is why we
    > hire them.  They may be wrong, but not for me "in general".
    >
    > As a developer...  BitKeeper's license is not "standard".  If you work for
    > a big company, aim your legal department at it.  If they give the
    > "go-ahead", go for it.  The selection of BitKeeper has some issues...
    > which may or not be relevant to your specific needs.

    The BitKeeper license is very sepecifically written to allow exactly the
    type of development we are doing.  Basically, as long as you don't mind
    allowing openlogging where all metadata -- changeset file, changelog
    stuff, and some bitkeeper specific files -- is sent to an openlogging
    server then you are ok AFAIK.

    But none of us are experts, I'd suggest re-reading the BitKeeper license
    and/or querying BitMover.  If you are doing work that you don't want to
    allow openlogging (i.e. propritary work) then you need a commercial
    license (or another source control mechanism).

    > How hard/evil would it be to tarball up the whole development tree once
    > every 24 or 48 hours?

    That seems overkill.  We could simply provide the latest patch as well
    as the latest stable patch (although i'd really rather not!).  But before
    we consider this please verify that you simply cannot use BitKeeper.

    > If it could be supported, I'd provide a site to
    > make it accessable if THAT kernel would be provided, as an option,
    > I think it would solve my problem.  If not, I await an official release
    > of the LSM patch from the list/site against a stable linux kernel.
    >
    > And I will attempt to apply Mr. Smalley's modified patch against what
    > I have and work from there.

    The work Stephen has done will be in BitKeeper today or tomorrow, and a
    stable patch will be released at the same time.  So you can also just
    wait for that.