Introduction

From: Steven M. Kramer (smkat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 08:37:53 PDT

    > However, David Wagner and Titus Winters have apparently been corresponding
    > on this, and come up with a different approach.  Any honeypot experts out
    > there other than Titus, who can say what they would want/need from LSM?
    > Perhaps other issues can be creatively addressed as well....

    I've been a passive observer on the list for about a month and thought the
    paragraph above was a good lead in for me.  I'm Steve Kramer from HP in
    Atlanta.
    We've had a secure web server called VirtualVault (based on SecureWare's CMW
    technology) for about 5 years now.  Some of us are now working on a
    linux-based
    secure web server we just started calling hp-lx.  We may borrow concepts
    from VV,
    but for the most part it's new technology.

    Our group here in Atlanta and in Bristol, UK believes in what your doing.
    I think we may have some access control and containment ideas in both the
    filesystem as well as network code.

    I have some questions about participation that I'm hoping someone could
    answer or
    at least point me to a place where I can read procedures, etc.

    1. Where would I get sources to be able to build and try the kernel?  I've
    read about BitKeeper and assume its an application server that gives me
    access to
    the sources.  (I'm not exactly sure what I get from the download because I
    want to wait until our lawyers sort out the license - based on J.M.Jones's
    concerns.)

    2. If after step 1 is solved, how do I submit changes?  It's my
    understanding
    that I send patch files to the list and consensus rules, and then Chris puts
    them
    in BitKeeper for all to extract.  Am I correct in this?

    3. Maybe I'm being presumptious in the last question, but is it true that
    anyone
    can join the group and contribute?

    Steve Kramer
    HP ISSL